One of my sons woke up last night, driven nuts by a mosquito bite. What can you do in that situation? I for one had no idea about what possible treatments existed. Google to the rescue! After a bit of searching I found these possible alternatives:
- Apply solid or roll-on anti-perspirant to the mosquito bite.
- Dab the mosquito bite with ammonia (it stings, but will relieve the itch).
- Place a piece of scotch tape on the bite.
- Use some clear nail polish on the bite. This keeps it from itching and acts as a seal to protect it.
- Make a paste of baking soda and water. The consistency should be thick enough that it doesn’t run and it will stay in place on the mosquito bite.
- Rub a piece of soap on the mosquito bite. Soaps that contain German chamomile, echinacea or ginger in it contain anti-inflammatory properties, so these will work the best.
- Rub a piece of onion on the mosquito bite. The sulfur compounds in the onion have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Rub the inside of a banana peel on the mosquito bite. The polysaccharides contained in the banana work to soothe the skin.
So there you go. Next time you, or someone else, is going insane because of a mosquito bite, you can come up with a few suggestions! In our case, the inside of a banana peel worked great!