No Wi-Fi device found

I just reinstalled one of my machines with Fedora 21. The install went great, but when the machine was done rebooting, and I was trying to set up my access to a wireless network with nmcli (NetworkManager), I got the following error-message:

..and:

Spending a lot of time finding what the problem was, I finally found the solution. Β It seems that Wi-Fi support in NetworkManager has been separated to a plugin. The package NetworkManager-wifi was missing. According to Pablo S. Torralba, who was kind enough to comment on this post, it should be enough to kill NetworkManager and launch it again as root. Should that fail, you can always try the old reboot-trick!Β  Either way, it should hopefully be working.

18 thoughts on “No Wi-Fi device found

1. Karl Poe

And here I was pulling my hair out for three hours, until I stumbled upon your blog. Thank you for saving my sanity! πŸ™‚

2. wen

Many thanks. It took me 2 days researching until I found your post.
    Many thanks!
    Wen

3. Najib

Hello any idea where Network Manager- WiFi package can be downloaded from? I’m very new to Linux and installed Centos and my wifi is not working. It says unmanaged. Thanks for all of your help

1. Jorge Enrique Barrera Post author

Hello!

If you are new to Linux, I would suggest using either Fedora Workstation or Ubuntu Desktop, as I feel they both are more userfriendly, and will introduce you more easily into the world of Linux.

If you however still want to find the NetworkManager-Wifi-package, try opening up a terminal, and typing the command (as the user ‘root’):

yum install NetworkManager-wifi

See if that helps. πŸ™‚

4. Jason

Just wanted to pause and say thank you -so much-

Forced myself to upgrade my lab to RHEL7 and the wired box was fine, but I was having fits with the wifi box and couldn’t figure out why (and was trying to learn all the new ways and try to not fall back to iw packages). Kept working on the Live media but never on my installed version and the nmcli output was not helping me any.

Voila, perfection, I have a great geeky man crush, thanks again!

1. Jorge Enrique Barrera Post author

You’re very welcome! I’m happy that you found some use of what I wrote. πŸ™‚ When it happened to me it was driving me bananas!

5. andresvia

Thanks, I’ve wasted so much time trying to figure out why the connection was not managed.

6. fnc

WTF. Everyone says thanks but I cannot understand how package is named. Please type it so I can copy and paste it to apt-get install command. Thanks

1. Jorge Enrique Barrera Post author

The package name probably doesn’t work because you’re using another version of Linux (when I wrote the article I based it on Fedora, and it seems you’re using Ubuntu most likely). Is it Ubuntu that you’re using? If so, what version? If you do have Ubuntu, and it’s a default installation, wifi should be working out of the box. Could you explain your setup to me?

7. CrazyPerk

Awesome man, you saved me from almost quitting the installation job πŸ™‚ Appreciate your help!

8. Mohammed

Hi, I’m in trouble because the system is not registered to red hat subscription management.
    So I can’t download any package and the WiFi , eth not working

1. Jorge Enrique Barrera Post author

Hi! I suspect that you’ve downloaded the Red Hat Linux distribution, is that correct? You need to pay for a Red Hat subscription to be able to download and update packages. An alternative to Red Hat Linux though is CentOS. Someone wrote:

CentOS is very close to being RHEL without the branding and support. In particular, the library versions are the same, so binaries that work on one will work on the other. The administration tools are the same and configured in similar ways. However, there are a few differences, as the two distributions sometimes apply different minor patches.

Give that a try if you don’t feel like paying for a subscription!

9. Pablo S. Torralba

Thank you. As many other said, you saved me a lot of time. Just to add, I got into this situation because I was upgrading an old distribution and the new extra package wasn’ t installed during the upgrade.

Also, you don’ t really need to reboot. For me it was enough to kill NetworkManager and launch it again as root. It automatically got the wifi connected because I already had the configuration.

Just my 2 cents, but all kudos for you. Thanks again!

1. Jorge Enrique Barrera Post author

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll make sure to include it in the post. πŸ™‚